Upcoming Live Online Events
Self-Paced Online Courses – By Donation
Welcome to the Buddhist Studies Institute
An online educational platform for the study of Buddhist philosophy and practice –
from the scholar-practitioner’s perspective.
Join us for the study of Buddhism at the intersections of tradition and historical context, in conversation with the profound intellectual developments of psychology, technology, medicine, and science.
Study Buddhism from classical source texts.
Engage in Buddhist meditation.
Train in the full range of Tibetan Buddhist contemplative practices from preliminaries to Dzogchen.
Learn from scholar-practitioners from Tibet, North America, and Europe.
Join a learning community that celebrates diversity, gender-equality and ethics as the basis for genuine learning and rigorous inquiry.
On conversations with Pema Khandro, Geshe Sonam, Jan Willis, Ven. Thubten Chodron and so many more
In live online courses, on-demand education and at-home retreats online
Why online Buddhist Study?
1. For access. We believe that online dharma study provides access for in depth practice for those who might not otherwise ever be able to access it. Caregivers, parents, people engaged in demanding careers, people who live far from a dharma center, people with differently-abled bodies, those who are unable to learn another language and travel to Asia… there are so many who long for serious engagement with Buddhist teachings who need access to the highest quality study and practice. Just as the Buddha taught in the 84,000 languages of the 84,000 types of beings, so too does the dharma continue to be shared in limitless ways for those who have pure motivation.
2. To encounter Buddhism from a scholar’s perspective. Guided by Lamas, Khenpos, Scholars from around the world, let your journey be supported by experts. Books are not enough, there is too much information to sort through on one’s own. Let Pema Khandro and a community of scholar-practitioners from around the world support your exploration of the rich world of Buddhism.
3. To join a learning community. At the Buddhist Studies Institute, online classes do not mean isolation and anonymity. Dynamic, engaged learning is a part of every program. At almost every retreat you will also have the opportunity to meet with the Lama in private online meetings throughout the year to get your questions answered, and foster a connection with a teacher.
You don’t have to do it alone. Experience the life-changing experience of dharma study within a beautiful community of international dharma friends! This is a vibrant, dynamic, growing and ever changing community where members become dharma friends, make life-long friendships, reunite with old friends, meet people from other cultures, meet best friends, and even marry! A rich community makes dharma study easier, more enjoyable, and more rewarding
4. To effectively support serious practice. Students in this community finish ngondro, accumulate millions of yidam mantras, complete the 108 charnel grounds chod, study shedra style Buddhist philosophy classes, take short term and long term courses…. the proof of the effectiveness of online learning is evident here!
5. To learn in a diverse environment. The community is diverse, with beginners and advanced students from a variety of backgrounds. This is possible because the Buddhist Studies Institute programs feature every stage of the path from the preliminaries to the most esoteric contemplative practices, engaging the tradition fully, from a scholar’s point of view.
Study – Practice – Thrive
Sign up to get the latest news
For whole-hearted, vigorous engagement with Buddhism and its diverse interpretations
New to Buddhism? Start by Exploring our Open Teachings
Study Buddhist Classics with Pema Khandro
Pema Khandro is a scholar and teacher of Tibetan Buddhism. Ordained in the Nyingma lineage, enthroned as a tulku, and trained as an academic, her teachings celebrate the dynamic coalescence of tradition and the contemporary context.
Pema Khandro is an authorized Lama and lineage holder of the Nyingma and Kagyu traditions of Tibetan Buddhism and she was enthroned to carry on the lineage of a Tibetan Yogini who lived and taught in the late nineteenth and the early twentieth century. As a scholar-practitioner, her approach to teaching is to frame Buddhist study and practice within its historical, philosophical and intercultural context. Her mission is to foster conversations between scholar-practitioners and Buddhist communities, to open up greater perspectives on the practice of Buddhism in the contemporary world. For more information visit www.PemaKhandro.org
Study Meditation With Kundini Yedrol Wangmo
Learn the joy of Tibetan Buddhist meditation
with Kundini Wangmo
Wednesdays 8:45 am – 9:45 am pst
Join through Zoom:
Meeting ID: 864 8423 1893
The Yogic Medicine Institute
Learn About Our Sister Project
Let the ancient knowledge of Himalayan medicine restore vibrant well-being in your body and mind.
Enjoy the detoxification and longevity practices of Ayurveda, Tibetan Medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
In Panchakarma Radiance Retreats you will enjoy 3 to 35 days of therapies, massage, nutrition, cleansing, and rejuvenation in a small group setting or private retreat. Protect your body while allowing it to remove toxins safely, efficiently, and thoroughly.
Ayurvedic Panchakarma helps your body let go of layers of undigested material. Each body is different, so your cleansing program is tailored just for you. Enjoy luxurious integrative therapies, bliss yoga, shirodhara and so much more. Panchakarma Radiance Retreats are led by Dr. Satya Shiva and Aruna Rigdzin. Benefit from their decades of training, warm hospitality and extraordinary guidance. Learn more here